USEMP wants to empower users regarding the sharing of their personal data on online social networks (Facebook, Twitter, etc.). We will develop tools that allow users to increase and enhance their privacy. These tools will not only give the users more control over the data they share, but will also inform them about who profits from processing the data they shared.
Why is our project important?
What are our goals?
- To help citizens´ understand the type of digital footprint they are leaving in social media and give the users' the control of their personal data.
- To bring together legal and user studies to improve user experience.
- To contribute to debates about personal information on social networks and to the economic value of the data we provide on these networks.
- Disseminating the project knowledge and results within research and industrial communities.
- Ensure that the tools and platform developed in the project will become widely adopted.
Initiatives, tools and services we have already launched
Initiatives, tools and services we are still working on
Who will benefit from our project?
- Online social network users i.e. people having at least one account on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn or another social networking service, in order to inform them about the way data is collected and processed, and how they can have control over information they share.
- Data controllers who manage the personal information in the online social networks, will be better informed about what pieces of data they are allowed to share and sell to advertisers, brand monitoring companies, etc.